Saturday, April 18, 2020

History in the making

I remember as a kid hearing people talk about where they were when JFK was shot. I remember how weird it seemed to me that they knew where they were when they heard the news. Then 9-11 happened. Everyone I know who was around then can tell you where they were, me included. Almost 20 years on and I still can recount most of that day at will. Like wise I have always been intrigued by the world wars, and what it must have been like. That level of collective focus and loss. The rationing and shear disruption to normal life. But here we are, smack in the middle of a global pandemic. Experience is an excellent teacher

I read a great note recently about kids during this season. To have them journal about it, to record their experiences. So that in 40 years they will have a first hand account to share with their kids. This is history in the making after all. So I guess that is what this is. My daughter is two. For her this season will be a flash in the pan. Something she hears stories of but doesn't really remember. So for my children, and grandchildren. Here is my experience of the pandemic of 2020.

This isn't war. But a month ago I started realizing I understood a little of that feeling. The fact that nothing happens over night. In December there were the beginning notes about a virus in China. In January the first U.S. case appeared here, in Washington State. But it was just one. Then started to escalate from there. I remember so clearly the feelings of disbelief as it began impacting daily life in March. My sewing machine was in for repairs when my small town announced all non essential business had to close. The repair shop was just over city line, and I was so grateful to get my machine back the next day. Not long after the whole state went on "stay at home" orders. As the impact has increased so has the fear and panic. Toilet paper hoarding has become of the most ridiculous examples. But as everyone scrambled to stock up on food incase of a lock down shortages across the board have popped up. 

In the last few years I have increasingly enjoyed making things from scratch. From growing sprouts, to knitting my daughters sweaters. Right before all this I started sewing a few of my own clothes and got a sourdough starter to start down the rabbit hole of baking our bread. What was supposed to be a once in a while loaf has now morphed into me baking all of our bread (plus pancakes, biscuits, and all manner of tasty bread related items).  Both now seem almost ironic in a season of panic buying and shortages. A few weeks ago, as the CDC expanded mask wearing recommendations to the general public, I started sewing face masks as well. It still feels surreal.

More another day. Its late











No comments:

Post a Comment