Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Ghosts in the floorboards

Last year I uncovered some nasty ghosts from my past. They were foul mouthed, belligerent, resilient, and defiant. After years of banging furniture, scaring off neighbors, and making my life miserable, I finally found their hiding place in the baseboards. Once in the light of day I started a full on ghostbusters war to deal with them. It was the beginning of the end. But then over a year ago those twenty year old spirits took a back seat to more pressing issues. With little effort (to my utter surprise) I shoved then into a closet in the basement to be dealt with at a later date.

And there they waited.

A crazy cold house, a three month road trip, friend reorganizations, a summer spent trying to find home again. And still they waited. A few times in that year they became like roudy teens. Attention deprived and provoked beyond any reasonable spooks patience they would rattle the pipes, scream (in the erie way only creepy ghosts can), and raise a general ruckus. Only to be faced down and reminded that life had more pressing issues.

And so they waited.

A few weeks ago the closet started getting noisy again. So last week I went to face them down again. Remind the bastards that this was not the time. A year on the back burner hadn't deluded their potency or dulled there enthusiasm. And after a black eye and a sore fist I thought that would be the end of it for a while. It wasn't. The hair on the back of my neck is still standing on end, and the creaking noises have become almost constant.

Walking town today I was trying to figure out why now these phantoms are getting so roudy. My life is levening off. I have a home I love. I just got stable work for the next three months. And school is about to start back up. Life is mellowing out. The statement hit me mid stride. Life is mellowing out. There are no more pressing issues, no more chaos to deal with while they wait in the closet. Their patience is done.

I am stronger then I was a year ago, more savvy of their scare tactics, more comfortable with my proton pack, and have a better back up team . So if this must begin again. bring it on. God willing, this will be the end of the end.

1 comment:

  1. What a great web log. I spend hours on the net reading blogs, about tons of various subjects. I have to first of all give praise to whoever created your theme and second of all to you for writing what i can only describe as an fabulous article. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only very few posses and honestly you got it. The combining of demonstrative and upper-class content is by all odds super rare with the astronomic amount of blogs on the cyberspace.

    ReplyDelete