Saturday, June 13, 2009
People
It’s the people that make the road. I came for the beauty. The national parks and open road that held something my life has lacked for some time. Don’t get me wrong, I found it. Enough of it to take my breath away and hold it, finally longer then the pain that stole it over a million minutes ago. But even more surprising then the amount of beauty I found, was the where. There was the side roads and in between places, and then there was the people. From decade old friends, to the campground neighbors. Watching these people, I am again believing that desire, motivation and passion are some of the most powerful things on earth. “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." Margaret Mead once said. I found extraordinary beauty in the tears of a foster mom, and in the heart and integrity of a man the world sets aside. And I had forgotten. That friends who earn the right to call you to the carpet, are worth ten of those who spout pretty words. That being offered a couch at two in the morning by someone who went to bed at nine, means more then a million hallmark cards. I rediscovered the wonder that is humanity. It was another thing I have lost along the way. I crossed the 8,000 mile yesterday. And have close to 2000 left to go. But for the first time since I started the journey, I am eager to get there. Eager to see the friends that still hold sway.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment